Photo Diary | Dong Jiao Min Xiang, Beijing

The Beijing Legation Quarter, also known as Dong Jiao Min Xiang, has been associated with foreign affairs since the Yuan Dynasty. During the Yuan dynasty, the street was known as Dong Jiang Mi Xiang (East River Rice Lane) which was the location of the tax office and customs authorities. It was close to the Grand Canal, where they receive rice and grain shipped from the south. In the Ming dynasty, several ministries, including the diplomat office ‘Ministry of Rites’ were all located in this area.

‘The Jade River’ canal, Legation Quarter, Peking, 1900

During the 19th century, Qing dynasty, the area was opened for the establishment of foreign legations, including the United Kingdom, France, Germany and the United States. After the Boxer Rebellion, lots of foreigners travelled to Beijing: soldiers, artists, missionaries, businessmen, and more foreign enterprises were built, transforming the area into ‘little Europe’, remnants of which can be seen today.

During the 19th century, Qing dynasty, the area was opened for the establishment of foreign legations, including the United Kingdom, France, Germany and the United States. After the Boxer Rebellion, lots of foreigners travelled to Beijing: soldiers, artists, missionaries, businessmen, and more foreign enterprises were built, transforming the area into ‘little Europe’, remnants of which can be seen today.

Now it has become a tourist sight, people come here from all over the country and the world, walking down the history lane, take a glimpse of the past, and see how things have changed, how style hasn’t.

@FRENCH POST OFFICE


@ ST.MICHAEL’S CHURCH

LOVAT WOOL POLO COAT
HUDDERSFIELD SUIT

@BELGIUM EMBASSY FORMAL SITE

@CHINA COURT MUSEUM

Leave a Reply

Close

PRINCIPLE M

Premium Tailored Clothing & Accessories | Beijing

Close

Sign in

Close

Cart (0)

Cart is empty No products in the cart.

PRINCIPLE M

Premium Tailored Clothing & Accessories | Beijing